Soooo not having summer school and being unemployed really doesn’t suit me. I’ve either been napping, watching vids on YouTube, or packing my stuff to move into my new apartment. I was tempted to make chocolate cupcakes because of the mix I got at Trader Joes but I didn’t have any cupcake liners. I was waiting for my Sweet LLC order to come in so I could make some but the roomie said I could use some of hers. I’ve been wanting to make these cupcakes to test out the frosting. I can make cupcakes like nothing. I’ve pretty much mastered them. I’ve never really piped frosting before. In high school I just used a butter knife to spread some canned frosting on top and voila! 🙂 The guys never complained so I figured it wasn’t that bad. I saw the recipe on a food blog when I was roaming around I Am Bakers blog. I can’t remember who’s recipe it was. I think it was someone from New Jersey? Feel free to let me know if it’s yours so I can give credit where it’s due.
Here’s the recipe..
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 box 12oz vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups of water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a mixer, stir together the cake mix, pudding mix, and water.
3. Add vegetable oil while the mixer is on low.
4. Add in eggs one at a time until everything comes together.
5. Line your cupcake pan or muffin pan with cupcake liners.
6. Spoon batter about 3/4 of the way full.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Makes approximately 24 cupcakes
8. Let cool on a cooling rack before frosting them.
Chocolate Expresso Frosting (blog online)
2 sticks butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon instant coffee or expresso
2 teaspoons of hot water
1. In a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg yolk and vanilla and mix for about 3 minutes.
3. While the mixer is running, add in confectioners sugar. Mix until smooth and creamy
4. Microwave chocolate chips in 30 second intervals until melted. Pour into large bowl with mixer running.
5. Dissolve instant coffee or expresso in 2 teaspoons of water and add to large bowl.
6. Stir until all ingredients combine.
7. Use a pastry bag or ziploc bag and attach a tip. I used a large star tip.
8. Spoon frosting into pastry bag and pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Wait until they’ve cooled completely! 🙂
I used two different methods for piping. The rose looking one is piping starting from the inside out. The star looking one is piping starting from the outside and working your way in. They both came out pretty good. This was pretty awesome for my first time piping frosting 🙂
Enjoy them with a cold glass of milk! They’re not as chocolatey as I would have hoped for. I’m more of a Pillsbury and Duncan Hines kinda gal. Thanks for stopping by 🙂