This past weekend was my friends birthday but I’m currently being held in Irvine. I mean I’m still at my apartment in Irvine. He said he wanted strawberry cheesecake. At first I kind of made a face. The kinda face a person would make if something smells bad. I’m not a fan of cheesecake at all. It’s probably one of my least favorite desserts. In fact, if I made a list you can be sure cheesecake won’t be on there. I don’t really see what the hype is about. I love cream cheese..on my bagels but cheesecake? Definite no. I decided to make it for his birthday since he was so excited he got a springfoam pan and everything. It would be impolite to say no would it not? I have no idea what I’m trying to say. I made the damn cheesecake, there 🙂 I’ve never made one before so I wasn’t exactly too thrilled to attempt it. I followed the PW’s recipe cause I can always trust her. It’ll be something yummy even if it doesn’t look like it came from a fancy shmancy restaurant. That’s what I like about the PW. Her recipes are simple and she doesn’t feel the need to make things fancy for it to taste delicious. Plus she’s simple.
Here’s the recipe..
Strawberry Cheesecake (The Pioneer Woman)
3 boxes of cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups of sugar (regular is fine)
1 box nilla wafers
1/2 chopped pecans
1 stick butter
1lb diced strawberries (You can use any kind of fruit. PW used blackberries but I used strawberries)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Using a food processor or blender, pulse nilla wafers and pecans together.
3. In a microwavable bowl, melt the stick of butter and pour it into the food processor and pulse again. Just enough for it to come together.
4. Pour into a springfoam pan and press down to make a crust. PW said it’s okay if the crust rises a little on the sides but I didn’t do that with mine.
5. Unwrap the cream cheese and throw them in a large bowl and use a mixer to mix until creamy and smooth.
6. Add sugar and mix again.
7. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
8. Finally add sour cream and mix again.
9. Pour mixture onto nilla wafer crust and bake for about an hour to 1hr 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
10. In a small pot, heat water and sugar until it boils.
11. Add in diced strawberries and cook for about 2-3 minutes letting the mixture become syrupy.
12. After cheesecake is done baking, allow to cool for about 1hr and pour syrup on top. I really went all out. Didn’t save any of the syrup. The pan looked like it was going to overflow.
13. Refrigerate for 2hrs minimum or overnight.
This is my first time making cheesecake so it was a little iffy. I baked mine for only an hour and it was fine. However, the top cracked in three places and the outer layer looks like a pizza crust. It also browned a lot. I’m not really sure what happened because I’m no cheesecake expert but I know the PW’s didn’t look like that! 😦 Oh well, I guess that’s just an excuse to make another one? Hehe 😛 Thanks for stopping by.