I got this awesome recipe from the Pioneer Woman. I think it was from Pastor Ryan. Anyway, this lasagna is the boss. I actually love it more than an actual lasagna. Something about mexican food always draws me to try it no matter what. I’m really glad I did because it’s ah-mazing 🙂
Here’s the recipe..
Mexican Lasagna (adapted from Pastor Ryan)
3 cups of unprepared rice (I used Jasmine rice)
3 cups chicken broth
4 whole tomatoes
8 cloves of garlic
chilli powder, salt, paprika, and cumin to taste
1 jar salsa verde
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
2 packages mexican cheese blend
1 jar enchilada sauce
2 cans of corn
sour cream, green onions, or cilantro to taste
1. Prepare rice with chicken broth. I used my handy dandy rice cooker.
2. Chop tomatoes, garlic, and onion. Saute in a medium pan. Add chilli powder, paprika, and cumin to taste.
3. In a large bowl, mix rice mixture with tomato mixture and stir to combine.
4. Brown ground beef and add chilli powder, salt, paprika, and cumin to taste. About 3 tablespoons chilli powder and 1 1/2 tablespoons of paprika and cumin each.
5. Pour container of salsa verde in a baking dish and spread evenly.
6. Layer flour tortillas over the salsa verde. Overlapping is fine.
7. Divide half of rice and tomato mixture and spread on top of tortillas.
8. Divide half of cheese and spread on top of rice and tomato mixture.
9. Add another layer of tortillas and pour enchilada sauce over them. Spread evenly.
10. Add ground beef on top of enchilada sauce.
11. Add corn on top of ground beef.
12. Add remaining rice on top of corn. You might have some extra rice and that’s fine. It could go as a side to the lasagna.
13. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of rice.
14. Sprinkle extra seasoning on top (I used paprika).
15. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20-35 minutes or until cheese melts.
I love this recipe. It’s a lot of work and ingredients but it’s delicious. It’s the perfect lasagna to take to a NYE party and such. Enjoy it 🙂 Thanks for stopping by.