Happy New Years everyone! I can’t believe it’s already 2012. 2011 has been a roller coaster BUT it flew by real quick. Today is my sister’s birthday so happy birthday sis! 🙂 My cousin and I came together last night to make a cake for our party today. We have a habit of making our own cakes because we’re too lazy to deal with the people at the bakeries. I’ve been feeling under the weather for the past week so I decided to use a cake mix. I wasn’t too enthralled with baking my own from scratch. I didn’t have the time to test and see if it was good. So I bought the chocolate fudge cake mix. I believe it’s Duncan Hines but don’t quote me on that. I’m a little out there because of my meds. I went from a headache to a sore throat to sneezing my head off to coughing my lungs up. Hopefully it all goes away and 2012 starts off the right way. The filling for the cake is a bavarian cream I bought from Sweet Baking Supply. It was pretty legit and reminded me of the custard in creme puffs and in those custard donuts. Those are my favorite so that’s probably why.
Here’s the recipe..
Chocolate Cake w/Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (makes a two layer cake)
1 box chocolate cake mix baked according to instructions
approximately 1 cup of bavarian cream
approximately 1 1/2 cups vanilla buttercream frosting
sprinkles or nuts for decorating
1. Place one layer of cake on a plate facing downwards (flip cake pan upside down and shake cake out of pan)
2. Spread the bavarian cream on top of that layer of cake
3. Place the second layer of cake on top of the bavarian cream creating a hamburger like cake
4. Spread vanilla buttercream frosting on the top of the cake and on the sides
5. Generously sprinkle cake with brown jimmies (sprinkles). As you can tell from the picture, my cousin was super into it as I let her do the sprinkling.
The cake doesn’t look hideous but it wasn’t as nice as I would have wanted. I attempted to make a chocolate buttercream using egg whites but that didn’t work out because the buttercream didn’t come together. I had to use powdered sugar for the frosting on this cake. Also, it’s probably not a good idea to bake while taking medication. Since I’m still recovering from a sore throat/flu I was doped up on amoxicillin and promethazine dm. Anyway, hope you enjoy it! I’m sure yours will look nicer than mine. Thanks for stopping by 🙂