First off, let me say that I do not like cheesecake. I hear all these people all hyped up about cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory but to be honest, it’s WAYYYY too overpriced. I made my own and not only did I like the taste better but it didn’t make my stomach feel funny. At first I thought it was because I was lactose intolerant but that didn’t make sense because I eat cheese, drink milk, and consume all sorts of dairy products. Everything except cheesecake. However, I made my own because I wanted to see if it would actually work. I did it without a springfoam pan because I couldn’t find them at the grocery store.
Here’s the recipe..
1 1/2 packages of cinnamon flavored graham crackers crumbled (each box has 3 packages)
1 stick unsalted butter
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 packages of cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
14 oz fresh strawberries sliced (approx 2 cups)
1. Using a meat mallet, crush graham crackers until crumbled.
2. In a small bowl, melt butter in microwave using 30 second intervals until all butter is liquid.
3. Add butter and almond extract to graham crackers and press into the bottom of a 9×9 cake pan.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream together.
6. Beat in the sugar until combined.
7. Mix in the eggs one at a time.
8. Pour filling onto crust and bake for an hour.
9. While the cheesecake is baking, make the syrup. In a small sauce pan, add the water and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
10. Add 1 cup of strawberries to the sugar mixture until the mixture liquid turns a shade of red. Do NOT bring to boil or the strawberries will taste like mush.
11. When the liquid turns a shade of red, add in another cup of strawberries and stir to combine with all the syrup. When all the strawberries are covered in the syrup, turn off the heat and take syrup off the stove top.
12. When the cheesecake is done baking, poke a couple of holes on top with a toothpick and pour the syrup on top.
13. Let cool to room temperature before putting in refrigerator.
14. Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours. Overnight is definitely best if you can wait that long.
I was made aware by my mother that you can eat this cheesecake at any time of the day. She had a slice for dinner the same day I made it and then another one for breakfast the next day. Apparently, she also brought a slice to work for lunch. So yeah, it works for whatever floats your boat! 🙂 Enjoy it.