These are so good!!! I’ve never tried spice cake before because I’m not a fan of anise or cloves which I assumed was in spice cake. I found a recipe for caramel apple cupcakes on Sweet Little Thang and they looked delish. I decided to give it a try and the spice cake was so delicious. It was very flavorful and moist. I wish I had pecans to top them off but they tasted great without them.
Here’s the recipe..
Caramel Apple Cupcakes (adapted from Sweet Little Thang)
1 box spice cake (I used the Duncan Hines brand)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup diced granny smith apples
17 vanilla caramels (you can use regular)
3-4 tablespoons evaporated milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, add all ingredients for batter except the apples and mix thoroughly.
3. Once the batter is well mixed, add the diced apples and mix with a spatula.
4. Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners and scoop batter into each liner using a ice cream scoop. I got 23 cupcakes out of this recipe.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting with caramel topping.
6. Using a small saucepan, add the caramel and whisk under very low heat. Gradually add the evaporated milk one tablespoon at a time. You may need more depending on the consistency of your caramel. Once it’s smoothe and pourable take it off the stove and frost your cupcakes. You can garnish with chopped pecans, m&ms, sea salt, whatever you please.
These are ah-mazing. I’m assuming they taste even better with pecans on top but I didn’t have any. It’s a great recipe for Halloween or even Thanksgiving. Am I the only one that’s thinking that far ahead? 🙂 Enjoy em