Hot chocolate happens to be one of my favorite drinks during the winter. I guess November is still considered fall but it’s getting a bit chilly here in California. Some days are windy but sunny while others are cloudy and windy. I had extra chocolate leftover from my Halloween baking so my sister and I decided to make hot chocolate.
Here’s the recipe..
Peppermint Hot Chocolate (serves 2)
approx 3 cups of milk separated
2 ounces dark chocolate (I used the bar kind from the Sweet Factory)
2 milk chocolate covered peppermint patties OR peppermint extract OR peppermint candy canes (I used the choc patties)
whipped cream (optional)
chocolate shavings (optional)
1. In a small sauce pan, boil 2 cups of milk (this will reduce) over medium low heat. Once the milk starts to bubble, add in the dark chocolate.
2. Stir milk for at least 5 minutes over low heat to make sure all the chocolate is melted. You don’t want spots of unmelted chocolate in your hot chocolate! Add more chocolate if you desire.
3. Once the chocolate has dissolved, turn off the heat and ladle half of the mixture into a mason jar. Ladle the other half into another mason jar.
4. Add one chocolate covered peppermint pattie to each mason jar and stir until it melts. Make sure to break it up first or else it’ll take forever to melt.
5. Add enough milk to each of the jars to fill up the jars. Stir to make sure everything is incorporated and enjoy it 🙂 You can add whipped cream and garnish with chocolate shavings if you like to be fancy. I just wanted hot chocolate so I didn’t.
My hot chocolate didn’t have a strong chocolate or peppermint taste but that’s how I like it. I want to taste a little bit of everything. You can add more chocolate or peppermint to suit your taste. If you’re using the patties, be sure to test it before you decide to add a lot because they have chocolate and peppermint. This is great on a cold day. Thanks for reading!