This is the first green bean casserole I’ve ever made and it was pretty darn tasty. This recipe comes from the PW. Usually people opt for the canned green beans but everything is homemade in this recipe. Feel free to substitute if you’re lazy. Somehow, I actually made it with fresh green beans. I think they taste better when they’re fresh.
Here’s the recipe..
Green Bean Casserole (adapted from the PW)
2 lb fresh green beans
4 slices bacon diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 an onion chopped
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
ground pepper to taste
1 jar 4 oz. dice pimentoes
1 cup french onions
1. Cut off the ends of the green beans and break them in half.
2. Blanch the green beans. Drop them in boiling water and let green beans cook for about 3 minutes. Remove them from water and plunge them into a bowl of ice water. Drain them and let them cool.
3. In a small pan, cook bacon and add diced onion and garlic. Cook until bacon is done. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a separate saucepan, melt butter. Sprinkle flour into pan and whisk to mix with butter. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes then add milk. Let sauce thicken and then add salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and cheese. Stir the mixture until the cheese is fully melted. Add pimentos and bacon mixture. Stir to combine and pour over green beans. Once it’s mixed, pour it into a baking dish and top it with french onions.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and enjoy 🙂
This is one of the first casseroles I’ve ever made and it made me fall in love with casseroles. Everyone said it was tasty when I made it for Thanksgiving last year. More Thanksgiving recipes to come. The cookie swap is going to start soon!! I’m so excited. I still haven’t figured out which kind of cookies I want to make. Thanks for reading 🙂