On Monday I brought in chocolate brownies for the vets. They gave me a lot of flack for topping them with powdered sugar. The brownies became known as the cocaine and marijuana brownies. No, the vets aren’t druggies. However, most of them fought in Vietnam so it was a different era back then. Regardless of all the flack, they loved them! 🙂 It’s funny because I think they spread the word. I’ll be walking in the halls of the hospital and random volunteers who I’ve never met before will ask me if I baked anything today. I always feel bad when I say no.
I love my Dixie Crystal cookie tin. I took the raspberry bars in them so I used it again for the brownies. The tin was pretty much emptied out by the time I left. Some of the volunteers said they were “saving them” for the afternoon crew but they were gone!
Chocolate Brownies (adapted from PW)
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 oz dark chocolate
1 1/2 sticks butter
2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon powdered sugar for garnishing (optional)
– preheat oven to 350 degrees
– melt butter and chocolate in a medium sized pot
– once melted, take off heat and stir in cocoa powder
– let cool for 5 minutes
– add vanilla and stir
– add sugar and stir again
– add eggs one at a time and stir
– add flour and stir until half way incorporated
– add chocolate chips and stir until fully mixed
– pour into a 13×9 greased pan
– bake for about 20-30 minutes
– allow to cool completely and top with powdered sugar
I like these brownies with ice cream. They taste amazing with vanilla swiss almond ice cream! 🙂 I love me a good ice cream sundae. It’s definitely a new way of making brownies but very worth it. Thanks PW!