Is it cheating if I didn’t bake? 🙂 I love making my own rice krispy treats because the store bought ones are too sweet for my liking. I also like to add different types of nuts in the rice cereal and sometimes chocolate chips or peanut butter chips. I brought these in to the vets today and they were inhaled. Some of the vets had seconds and thirds. It’s super easy, portable, and makes a filling snack. The kind I made had chopped almonds and extra marshmallows. I just used the recipe on the cereal box.
Rice Krispy Treats
6 cups rice krispy cereal
4 1/2 cups mini marshmallows divided
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped almonds
– melt butter in a saucepan
– once butter is melted, add 4 cups of marshmallows reserving 1/2 cup
– melt marshmallows on medium low heat (do not cook on high or else the marshmallow might burn)
– once marshmallows are completely melted, pour the cereal into large bowl
– add the chopped almonds and stir into the cereal
– make a small well in the cereal mixture and add the melted marshmallow mixture
– stir until combined (about 2-3 minutes)
– when the mixture is slightly warm to touch, add the leftover 1/2 cup of marshmallows and stir (the marshmallows shouldn’t melt)
– pour mixture into a 13x9in pan and let set before cutting (about 30 minutes)
– cut into squares and enjoy!
You can use different types of cereals. I’ve used cocoa puffs, frosted cheerios, and fruit loops. I’ve also made different kinds like s’mores with chopped hershey chocolate and crushed graham crackers and pistachio with chopped white chocolate and chopped pistachios. I really like the almonds because it provides a crunch without adding sweetness to the treats. This version is probably my favorite. Be creative! You can add Oreos or Thin Mints. The Thin Mints work well if you freeze the treats. They’re delicious that way! 🙂 Try it out. It doesn’t about 10 minutes to make it and 30 to let it set. It’s super easy!